xPQwRtz

reWRITING THE INDIE CONSTITUTION

Monday, June 11, 2007

facebook has made me want to KILL

i'm sorry.
i know this blog is supposed to be about my time as an indie kid etc etc BUT does NOBODY LISTEN ANYMORE?????


i just checked into my facebook to find that some friends have joined a group called "WE LOVE C-86".
that in itself is fine, i love the C86 compilation too.

BUT BUT BUT.

here's the description of the group:

"In 1986, the British music weekly NME issued a cassette dubbed C-86, which included a number of bands -- McCarthy, the Wedding Present, Primal Scream, the Pastels, and the Bodines among them -- influenced in equal measure by the jangly guitar pop of the Smiths, the three-chord naivete of the Ramones, and the nostalgic sweetness of the girl group era. Also dubbed "anorak pop" and "shambling" by the British press, the C-86 movement was itself short-lived, but it influenced hordes of upcoming bands on both sides of the Atlantic who absorbed the scene's key lessons of simplicity and honesty to stunning effect, resulting in music -- given the universal label of "twee pop" -- whose hallmarks included boy-girl harmonies, lovelorn lyrics, infectious melodies, and simple, unaffected performances.

All in all, we share the love of C-86 and the twee movement."


it's utter rubbish!!!!!
what about the other half of the album:

wolfhounds
stump
bogshed
a witness
age of chance
half man half biscuit
mackenzies
bIG fLAME
...fuzzbox...
shrubs

?

or is it just nice and convenient to continue ignoring the stuff that doesn't fit your comfortable little pigeon holes?

and by the way THERE WAS NO SUCH THING, HOWEVER SHORT-LIVED, AS A "C86 MOVEMENT". IT WAS JUST A COMPILATION CASSETTE OF NEW BANDS THAT THE NME EDITORS LIKED AT THE TIME.

fer f*cks sake

13 Comments:

  • At 9:49 AM, Blogger Daniel Novakovic said…

    hear hear!

     
  • At 9:55 AM, Blogger Crayola Sarandon said…

    thanks daniel.
    KILL TWEE POP!

     
  • At 10:22 AM, Blogger PC said…

    Fuzzbox were twee though....

     
  • At 10:29 AM, Blogger Crayola Sarandon said…

    in what way were fuszzbox twee?
    4 school girls who hairsprayed and back-combed their hair, wore de rigeur stripey tights and big "robert smith" stripey jumpers and bunked off school to record their first single - payed for by robert lloyd - they told their mum's they were staying at each other's houses , went to the studio and recorded, after which they slept under the mixing desk before having a wash in the studio toilet and going into school the next morning.

    they were spotty little oiks who drank cider, smoked and had boyfriends far too young. i mean, they were younger than me at the time they made their first EP.
    i think the first few records are quite brash and hard - definitely more (post) punky (a la x-ray spex or raincoats) than twee like talulah gosh.

     
  • At 11:15 AM, Blogger Tom said…

    Don't get me started on this :)

     
  • At 1:47 PM, Blogger kenglanton said…

    well said. it was a comp- but people always trying to create movements. They work better for marketing purposes. Rubbish!!

    So now that I said my piece- is there a way for me to send you some music to review (or think of reviewing?)

    Best,
    Ken
    kenglanton@gmail.com

     
  • At 10:23 PM, Blogger Crayola Sarandon said…

    hi.
    i'll email you, though i don't review for this blog.
    this blog's simply my life in an anorak (or something).
    i do ocassionally review for diskant though.

     
  • At 1:52 AM, Blogger Trev Oddbox said…

    have to agree.... c86 was a tape (as we used to call them) and it contained more than the twee sounds people remember.

     
  • At 11:07 AM, Blogger ally. said…

    gawd bless ya sunshine. the c86 tape was rubbish. there i've said it. the wolfhounds and mccarthy wouldve saved it if they'd not submitted the weakest tunes in their sets. i'm baffled by it's mythical status. and i was there
    x

     
  • At 2:28 PM, Blogger Tom said…

    Well I was there and I lurved it. Going to gigs here, there and everywhere and reading more fanzines than you could shake a stick at meant that it was a good time for me. Granted more could have been on the tape and yes it could had been more diverse. But then I brought the other stuff i liked at the time so I didn't really notice. It certainly has been an influence and to be honest I would rather hear bands influenced by the C86 tape than the sodding Libertines which still seems to be the case on the London Circuit.

     
  • At 12:47 PM, Blogger ally. said…

    they were great times with lots of fantastic music and hell i couldn't agree more bout the london whatsit.
    x

     
  • At 7:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi there! My apologies if that little group I started enraged you. I was rather bored in class.

    I personally just call everything proto-twee (I know I'm probably killing you with this terminology, I'm so sorry!) "C86" or "Anorak". I suppose you could call that wrong, but I guess it depends on one's opinion on the matter. Plus, I never lived in the era, so I'm not keen on if the term(s) were even widely used.

    Either way, cool blog. I see you're interested in noise, do you listen to much avant-prog? Jeeze, I'm almost too afraid to use genre titles now! How intimidating!

    -Jake :)

     
  • At 11:30 PM, Blogger Crayola Sarandon said…

    hullo.
    i don't check comments on this blog very often so i'm sorry if it's taken me a while to get back to you.
    no need to feel intimidated by me or anybody else.

    but some stuff does make me damn angry.

    hey ho. i won't get started again.
    it's too early in the morning.

    :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home